Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekend and MLK Day

On Saturday we worked at the Habitat for Humanity wearhouse because it was raining all day. We got to work wih Cedar 1 (which is the team we are living with) but we also got to work with a team from the Vicksburg campus as well. The first part of the day we organized the wearhaouse. It was a mess. I painted signs to identify which objects went in certain areas. Then we moved lots of lumber around and swept. We had lunch them we played some games. We did a game between the teams to see who could hit the hammer into the board with the least amount of hits. Then the winner from each team went up against each other. Then we winner between all the teams went up against Brent and Justin who work for Habitat. Brent hit the nail once and it went all the way into the board. It was amazing. Then we did a oouple other games. After that we did more organizing then it was time to go home.

When we got home I changed then went out to Walmart with a couple people to get some things. After that I came back here and hung out for a while then ate some dinner. I had quinoa, black beans, brussel sprouts, and okra. It was yummy. A bunch of people wanted to go to a bar so I went with Alacia and Stephon to take them to a bar. I came back here and hung out for the rest of the night.

Sunday I slept in till about 9:30 which was pretty amazing. I got up and hung out for a little while then went to a coffee shop for a while with a bunch of people. Then we went to GoodWill and got the van washed. I love going through the car wash. I forgot how much fun it was. After that we came back to the house, had lunch which was a bunch of left overs then we all went to the movies. Some people went to see Avatar, The Book of Eli, and Lovely Bones. Sarah and I went to see The Blind Side. Let me tell you that it was AMAZING. It was such a touching story. The story was mostly about Mike's life and had parts about football in it. I want to read the book now. During the movie I kept thinking that is was amazing what this family was doing for Mike and how I wanted to make a difference and help people. I told Sarah that at the end of the movie and she said, "Lindsay, what do you think you are doing in AmeriCorps. You are helping people." I think I just forget that I making a differenece in people's lives because I don't see it. But she was right. So after the movies we came back to the house and had some more left overs for dinner. After that I hung out then helped Shalyn and Lauren unload groceries and organize them. Then I boiled eggs for breakfast for the week and went to bed.

Today was Martin Luther King Day, it was a day of service today. See Monday's are usually my day off but it was a day of service. Today we worked on a lady's house repairing her wheelchair ramp and reshingling her roof. Today made me realize that I AM making a difference in people's lives. We had a good time. It was about 65 degrees and sunny all day. It was a perfect day to be outside. After that I came home and took a walk with Sarah to talk so she could vent. Now I am going to hang out for the rest of the night. Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment