Friday, January 8, 2010

After AmeriCorps Day and Human Rights Day

So yesterday being Thursday was After AmeriCorps Day. In the morning we had a kick off for the day. I had o wake up at 7am and go to a meeting at 8 that lasted a half hour then I was free for the next two hours. I was kind of annoyed that I had to get up that early for a stinking half hour meeting. Anyway after the meeting I had some breakfast then I took a nice nap. After my nap My team and I went to the after AmeriCorps fair. At the fair they had AmeriCorps Alum, the Peace Corps, the ROTC, Camp Adevnture, and many other non profit programs as well as tons of information for more non profit programs. The program that I am most interested in and am thinking about doing the program for a little while is called Camnp Sunshine. Camp Sunshine is a retreat for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. This camp is tailored for the whole family and is all year round. The camp is based in Casco, Maine. I could volunteer there for a couple months up to a year or more. It is something that has caught my attention and I am going to research it some more. After this fair I had another meeting about our goals for the year. My goal hadn't changed.

Then I had two sessions I had to go to. The first session was about AmeriCorps Alums. They talked to use about staying involved with AmeriCorps after we graduate for an hour. It was really repetitive and boring. I was lucky I was sitting with Jim, Stuart, Jordan, Ross, and Bria. That made it more interesting. After this session I had a session on applying to graduate school. It was informational and made me want to step up my game and actually start the application proccess or atleast start looking into programs and seeing if Fitchburg would match my education award. After the session I went to do a couple VST things which was annoying. After all that pain in the ass stuff I went to the kicthen to see if Katy (an unexperienced cook) needed help making dinner. She made soup in a crock pot but needed help making grilled cheeses and brocolli. Then it was time to eat, it was yummy.

After dinner I got changed and walked to the bar Golf Right with Jim to watch the Alabama vs. Texas game, The Rose Bowl. It was so freaking cold and windy on that walk but it was worth it. We were at the bar alone for a while than a bunch of people showed up from NCCC to join us. It was nice, I got to talk to some people that I hadn;t had the chance to hold a real conversation with yet. It was a really fun night. I didn't get back to my room until around 12am. I read for like 10 minutes then went to bed.

Today being (Friday) I had a meeting to kick off Human Rights day at 8am (I think they like that time alot, I don't though). So we had a keynote speaker talk to us about the Human Rights field and what kind of jobs are out there for us. She also talked about the Bill for Human Rights and a couple other things. SHe lost my attention after about an hour. We sat in really uncomfortable auditorium chairs for an hour a half. After she was finished I had to stay in those uncomfortable chairs and listened to someone talk about Hunger and Poverty. It was an interesting topic but the women just droned on talking and gave a TON of statstics. I guess I wasn't in the mood to hear about negative stuff today. After an hour of her talking I had to stay in that stupid chair for another hour and do some more talking about Human Rights and what they ment to me and my team. It was just alot of redudentceys (sorry about the spelling). Everything just kept getting repeated and drawn out. Then we FINALLY got a 30 minute break for lunch in which I ate and ham, hummus, sprout, and spinach sandwhich followed by some pizza lol.

After lunch I had a seminar on Human Trafficking which is considered todays modern slavery. It was very informational as well as shocking, and depressing. Did you know that 70% of Human Trafficking is related to commerical sex. Also 80% of the people being trafficked are women and children. That was shocking and heart breaking. It made me want to learn more about the topic so that I can some how help stop what is going on. After this depressing seminar we had a closure meeting and then I was DONE with meetings for the day and unit I get back from Alabama. YEAY!!!! I walked to Alco with Sarah and Meredith because we all needed a couple things. It was cold out but it wasn't horrible. When I got back from Alco I ate queaso with Sarah which was delicious. Now I am doing some laundry and relaxing. I plan on reading a little bit then I am going to watch the last Harry Potter movie with Sarah and Laura.

Tomorrow I have a STUPID meeting with my team at 10:30am. I am planning on sleeping till atleast 10am. Anyway thats alot of updating. I hope my life is interesting enough for you guys to want to keep reading this. I am going to put in another load of laundry. Love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! My name is Stefanie Millette and I'm an Americorps CRC member who has volunteered for Camp Sunshine for many years (separate from my Americorps service). Please feel free to email me at any point at stefanie.millette@gmail.com, particularly about volunteering there for a long length of time- I actually lived and volunteered there from April thru August of 2009.

    ReplyDelete