Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Vinton Iowa 13 degrees, Mobile Alabama 48 degess

Yestersday (Tuesday) was my first full day back in Vinton. I had a community meeting in the morning. It was nice to see everyone back. Only two people out of 152 didn't come back after break. Everyone from my team came back which is awesome. During the community meeting we found out that the AmeriCorps NCCC program is not a demonstration program anymore. Obama just signed a bill to give us alot of money. So we are getting a new unit here in Vinton which is going to be weird. Some people will have to move there rooms to accomidate these new corps members. Some people might even have to box up their things before they go on spike and they will be put into storage and then when they get back from spike the boxes will be waiting for them in their room. I hope I don't have to move my room, box my stuff up, or lose my roommate. I wouldn't mind if they put another person in my room. So that was the big news for us when we came back.

After the community meeting my team met for a little while, then we met up with Cedar 1 which is the team we will be living with while we are in Mobile. We did our team pre packets together and got things together for our briefing. I worked with the VST on Cedar 1. He is very nice, he is also the Assistant Team Leader (ATL) on Cedar 1 as well. Then we had a unit meeting where we got to know where all the other Oak teams were going on their spikes. After the meeting my team met to get the dinner schedule together for the week and finish a couple other things. I think as a team we are working better together since we have been back. That 2 week break was good for us.

After meeting with the team I played Wii with Jim for a while which was really nice. Then I went to the super market with some of my team members to get things for the dinner I was making and so other people could shop for their dinners as well. After shopping I cooked a chicken stir fry for my team which was very yummy. I figured out how to make carrots taste really good in a stir fry and figured out how to make them not too hard and not mushy. Atfer dinner I walked in 5 degree weather to a local bar called Golf Right to watch the Iowa vs. Georgia Tech game. It was nice to watch some football and have a couple beers. I went to the bar with my friend Meredith and my teammate Jim. We had a good time together. I am glad I went even if I froze on the walk there and back. I got back to my room around 12 am and slept very nicely in my bed.

This morning (Wednesday) I had a team meeting to go over stuff for our briefing. Then my team and I met with Cedar 1 to make sure we were all on the same page because we were doing the briefing together. After that I fixed some stupid things with my insurance. Then we actually had our briefing which didn't really give us anymore information on the project than we already knew. I will be doing new consturction and doing some remodeling. After the briefing I had lunch. Now I am sitting in the computer lab writing this because the STUPID wireless internet is not liking my computer right now. At 3pm I have a VST meeting which shouldn't take long.

I am so excited about dinner tonight by the way. My teammate Jacob is making Jumbolia (I think that's how you spell it). It was so good the last time I begged him to make it again. After dinner we have duty at 7:30 then I am done for the night. I think after duty I am going to go in my room and read, then go to bed early.

Bye the way I miss my little neice Addie so much. I keep showing her picture off the everyone. Everyone I have showed her picture too says that she is so cute and beautiful. Anyway thats enough of an update for now. Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment