Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Slacking a little bit

I have been a little bit busy latley. I leave campus at 6:55 am and don't get back here till about 5:15 pm. Then it's PT, team meeting, cleaning, or cooking dinner. By the time that is done I am exhausted and its about 8:30. So I am a little behind on my blogging.

I started working at Weed and Seed in Cedar Rapids IA on March 4th. The first day was orientation where we got talked to about the organization and the flood that Cedar Rapids had in 2008. We also got a driving tour of Cedar Rapids and it was amazing to see how many houses still are flood damaged and how high the water had gone up. The water had crested at 31.5 feet. Then next day we got training on how to mud and tape drywall. That was fun but then I stood around for the rest of the day because I couldn't do anything so I felt useless. Then we got back to campus and hung out.

On Saturday my team and I did an Independent Service Project (ISP) with the other team that is staying on campus, Cedar 4. We served pancakes at a pancake breakfast put on by the town. It was fun. But a long day. We worked until 2pm. When we got back to campus wed hung out for a little bit then Katie, Matti, Sarah, and I walk around town for a little bit. It is so weird being in such a small town that everything closes at 5:30 or 6 pm. Then we went back to campus hung out and Sarah, Amy, Amber (from Cedar 4) watched Love Happens. And then we got attacked by nerf guns. My teammate Jacob has an arsenal of nerf guns. They are fun no matter how old you are. On Sunday I did laundry, hung out, then went to see Alice and Wonderland with my team and Cedar 4. The movie was weird but good. There was alot of eye mutulation in it which was weird. After the movie we stopped by Target then we went back to campus. It was an early night because we had work in the morning.

Yesterday two of my team members were sick and my team leader had to drive one of them to the doctors. So 7 of us went to work. I had to work out in the field and swept for about 2 hours or so. I was supposed to be leading volunteers but my volunteers didn't should up for a while then when they did I had to sweep. By the time lunch came my arm was throbing. After lunch I talked to my team leader and told her I couldn't go back into the field. She told me that next time I need to tell the person that I thought I was staying at the CRC (Community Recovery Center). But I didn't know I could do that because my team leader never told me that and never actually told me if she talked to the people at Weed and Seed about what I would be doing. Anyway after lunch I went back to the CRC and typed up some documents. After work we had dinner and then we have a huge nerf gun fight which was amazing. Then some people watched a scarey movie, and I read for a while.

Today all of my team was back to work. I did more paper work on the computer and then I organized the CRC's tools and cut out shamrocks for the St.Patty's Day float the Weed and Seed has. After lunch we got a training on drywall and then I went back to the CRC and hung out. After work we had PT. Everyone else got to play basketball and I had to walk about the gym. I was so jealous. But I knew I couldn't play. My arm is on fire it hurts so bad. I called the Dr. today to see if he could give me any pain meds. He never called me back so I am going to call him back in the morining.

I can't wait to come home by the way everyone. I am offically coming home March 29th, I will get to Logan around 12:10am on Tuesday. And my flight back to Iowa is Monday April 5th around 3pm. Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment